Have a grater you need to clean? In this article we tell you everything you need to know about how to clean a grater. We discuss what cleaning products work best on graters and what techniques should be used to clean graters.
How often do you need to clean a grater?
How often do you need to clean your grater? You should use your grater each time you use it. If you do not clean your grater each time you use it then bits of food will get stuck on the grater. The food will start to rot while it is on the grater.
How do you clean a grater
How do you clean a grater? Here are the steps you should follow to clean a grater.
- Soak the grater. Before you scrub the food off of your grater you should soak it for a few minutes to loosen up the food. You should put the grater in a large pot or bowl and soak it in warm water and dish soap for 15 – 20 minutes prior to scrubbing it.
- Scrub with a stiff bristled brush. After you have soaked your grater it is time to scrub it to remove any caked on food. You should use a stiff bristled kitchen brush to scrub the grater. You should avoid using a sponge so that you do not accidentally grate off part of the sponge. You should scrub the grater on both sides to knock off bits of food that are on both sides of the grater.
- Thoroughly dry. After you clean your grater you should thoroughly dry it. If you leave your grater in the water for too long or if you do not dry your grater off after you clean it the grater might rust.
Tips for cleaning a grater
Are you looking for even more tips to help you clean your grater with ease? Check out these tips to make your next kitchen cleaning day even easier.
- Scrub in the opposite direction. If you do not have a stiff bristled brush and you need to scrub the grater with a sponge you need to be careful about what direction you scrub the grater in. You should scrub the grater in the opposite direction you would scrub if you were trying to grate food.
- Wash the grater as soon as you are done using it. You should wash your grater as soon as you are done using it. If you can not wash your grater immediately you should put it in a bowl of water to soak. If you let food dry on you grater then it will be difficult to scrub the grater off.
- Use the faucet to spray off bits of food. If you are having trouble getting bits of food off of the grater then you can spray the grater with your faucet to knock off the food.
- Use hot water to melt cheese. If you have a lot of cheese stuck on your grater then you should wash the grater with hot water. If you use hot water then the water will melt the cheese and help it fall off of the grater.
- Spray the grater with cooking spray before using it. It will be easiest to clean your grater if the food does not get stuck on it to begin with. If you spray your grater with cooking spray before you grate your food then the food will slide off of the grater more easily.