There is nothing quite like cuddling up in a nice and cozy fleece during cold winter months. Fleece can be a lovely material that helps you stay warm on brisk winter days. As lovely as it is, fleece can also be a little temperamental – especially when you try to wash it! If you do not take care when you wash fleece then your fleece garment can lose its fibers, become knotted, lose its water proof coating, and become stiff rather than soft.
Luckily, we have your back. In this article we tell you everything you need to know to wash all of your fleece garments without running into any of these issues. We tell you how often fleece garments should be washed, how they should be washed, what cleaning solutions should be used to wash them, and more.
What is the best way to wash fleece?
What is the best way to wash fleece? Here are our best tips for washing fleece garments.
- You should always turn fleece garments inside out before washing them. This will reduce the number of fibers that fall off of the fleece and prevent the fleece fibers from getting knotted.
- You should only use a small amount of laundry detergent when washing fleece. You should also use gentle laundry detergent or natural cleaning solutions like vinegar. This is especially true if you are washing a water resistant fleece.
- You should always wash fleece on the gentle setting and in cool water. This is especially true if you are washing a water resistant fleece.
- You should only wash your fleece garments when absolutely necessary. If you get small stains on a fleece garment you should consider spot treating the stain rather than washing the whole garment.
- You should try to wash fleece by itself.
- Always check the washing instructions that come with your fleece. The dyes and materials used in your fleece might have specific care instructions that need to be followed.
Can you put fleece in the washing machine?
Can you put fleece in the washing machine? You can put fleece in the washing machine but you should follow a few simple rules.
- Always put fleece in the washing machine inside out. This will reduce the number of fibers that fall off of the fleece and also prevent the fibers from knotting in the wash.
- Try to wash fleece separately from other garments. Fleece sheds fibers and you do not want these fibers to end op plastered to your other garments. Additionally, buttons and zippers on other garments can snag fleece garments and pull off some of the fibers.
- Always wash fleece on the gentle setting and in the coolest possible water. Washing fleece under other conditions can cause the fleece fibers to get knotted and torn off. It can also damage the water proof coating many fleece items come with.
Can you use laundry detergent on fleece?
Can you use laundry detergent on fleece? You can use gentle laundry detergent on most fleece products but you should always be sure to use as little laundry detergent or soap as possible when cleaning fleece garments. Take extra caution when cleaning fleece garments that have a water resistant coating as laundry detergent can eat away at this water resistant clothing.
Can you wash fleece in hot water
Can you wash fleece in hot water? You should try to avoid washing fleece in hot water. Cola water and warm water are both acceptable. Fleece is not as prone to shrinking in warm water as other fabrics like satin and flannel but hot water can damage water resistant coatings and encourage fleece jackets to shred fibers.
Can you put fleece in the dryer?
Can you put fleece in the dryer? You can put fleece in the dryer but you should make sure to keep the dryer on the most gentle setting with low heat. Letting fleece hang dry is always preferable if you have the time. Fleece does not shrink much when heated compared to other fabrics like satin, but using high heat can damage the fabric and make the fabric less soft.
How often should you wash fleece?
How often should you wash fleece? That depends on the type of fleece garment you are talking about. Here are our guidelines for how often to wash fleece garments.
- Fleece outerwear such as fleece jackets, sweatshirts, and blankets should be washed once or twice a season
- Fleece accessories such as fleece hats, head bands, and scarves should be washed two or three times a season.
- Fleece items that are worn as bottom layers such as fleece pants, leggings, and undershirts should be washed once every one or two wears.
What is fleece made of
What is fleece made of? Fleece is generally made of synthetic polyester fibers. These fibers are plastic based which means that fleece is a good option if you are looking for a water resistant outer layer. Many fleece garments are coated with a water resistant outer layer to increase the water resistance. This is something you should keep in mind when you wash fleece.
Fleece is made of synthetic polyester fibers. This means that fleece garments do not shrink as easy as garments made of other fabrics like cotton. In some cases fleece garments might include some natural fibers like cotton or wool.